The earliest known map of Australia and New Zealand, Joan Blaeu’s Archipelagi Orientalis Sive Asiaticus (1659) sold for £248,750 (US$321,819) at a Sotheby’s auction in London this week. Referred to as Australia’s birth certificate by the National Library of Australia, the map was the first to name Australia as Nova Hollandia (New Holland) and the first to name Novo Zeelandia (New Zealand).
.. Continue Reading Australia’s “birth certificate” sells for $320,000
- World’s first physics textbook sells for $790,000
- Jimi Hendrix’s “most used” guitar going to auction
- Comic art values surge as Tintin flies past Superman, Batman and Spiderman
- The original Hot Wheels Lincoln Zephyr “Scrape” heads for auction
- The most valuable scientific documents of all-time #50-41
- Could rare Mercedes-Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster break model record?