If humans are ever going to colonize Mars – which we will, if NASA and Elon Musk have their way – then we need to make sure we can grow food locally. Now a team from Wageningen University & Research has found that earthworms might soon need a name change: the creatures, a crucial part of making soil fertile, can thrive and reproduce in simulated Martian soil.
.. Continue Reading Earthworms can thrive and reproduce in Martian soil simulants
- Simulated Martian and lunar soils sprout their first crops
- Catching the sun, to catch mosquitos
- Experimental battery charges and recharges via bacteria
- Plant-Microbial Fuel Cell generates electricity from living plants
- Scientists plan to grow potatoes under Martian conditions
- Lockheed Martin plans manned Mars Base Camp for 2028