We’ve managed to send spacecraft out into the vast realm beyond our solar system, and now it looks as if the Galaxy is repaying the compliment. An object originating from outside the Solar System has been detected passing through the Sun’s real estate. Temporarily designated as A/2017 U1, the extrasolar asteroid or comet was recorded after approaching from interstellar space and heading out again on a parabolic trajectory.
- Map of the entire visible universe released to the public
- 3-mile asteroid is the largest Earth-buzzing object NASA’s ever seen
- Newly discovered asteroid gives Earth a near miss
- NASA will test its planetary defense network on approaching asteroid
- Space telescope picks out potentially hazardous asteroids
- Space agencies track trajectory of approaching asteroid