The town of Kiruna in Lapland, Sweden, is known for its Jukkasjårvi Ice Hotel and for hosting the recent Arctic Council summit. It also sits within the Arctic Circle, on one of the world’s richest deposits of iron ore. Now in danger of collapse due to extensive deep mining, the city center is to be relocated in an extensive plan developed by White Arkitekter, which includes a new town hall by Henning Larsen. .. Continue Reading How do you move a city (preserve old traditions and keep a mining industry alive)?
- Colorado town considers drone hunting licenses
- White Arkitekter wins competition to redevelop storm-ravaged Queens
- Twitter-activated vending machine trades tea for tweets
- London’s mile-high vertical village
- MVRDV’s spectral Glass Farm echoes traditional local architecture
- New bike-scooter design inspired by consultation with Bordeaux citizens