Personal electric VTOL (vertical take off and landing) commuting may not be far off, thanks to accelerating improvements in battery technology. Joby Aviation has put forward an incredible two-seater plane concept that uses 12 tilting electric propellers to provide multirotor-style balanced VTOL capabilities. Once it reaches cruising speeds, these rotors fold away into aerodynamic bullet shapes, and the aircraft can reach speeds of up to 200 mph (322 km/h) and ranges of up to 200 miles using four additional cruise-optimized props on the backs of the wings and tail fins.
- Elytron 2S tiltrotor demonstrator airframe completed
- easyJet using drones to inspect planes
- Vector Hawk joins Lockheed’s sUAS family
- VV-Plane concept designed to do some heavy lifting and revolutionize cargo transport
- AgustaWestland unveils world’s first electric tilt rotor aircraft
- Micronautix Triton concept aircraft: Passengers get a front seat too