Although most people likely associate Venice with gondoliers quietly poling their boats along the canals, the city is also home to approximately 550 motorized water taxis. These watercraft are all equipped with diesel engines that spew exhaust and make a racket, creating both air and noise pollution. With this situation in mind, engineers from University of Southampton spin-off company REAPsystems are developing hybrid engines that could be swapped in.
.. Continue Reading Venice’s water taxis may be going green
- World’s first 3D-printed plane goes to work in Antarctica
- Shape-shifting drone wings inspired by bats
- Eternal data storage demonstrated in nanostructured glass
- Metal-based graphene alternative “shines” with promise
- TV sound system creates a loud spot in the room for people with hearing loss
- Power Pocket prototype uses body heat to charge a smartphone