The tomato is a very versatile fruit. It can be juiced, made into cold soup, used as sauce or just eaten raw in a salad. It is a true food icon and now its usefulness could be expanding to an unexpected area as a US team is experimenting with the fruit as a source of electricity. A pilot project developed by researchers based in several American institutions involves a biological-based fuel cell that uses tomato waste from harvests in Florida, giving a new lease of life to organic material that would otherwise end up in landfills.
.. Continue Reading Waste tomatoes tapped as source of electricity
- Could this little-known biomass generator start an energy revolution?
- Random vibrations turn tiny trees into power plants
- New technique for generating electricity from mechanical vibrations
- FAA testing a concrete way to clear snow
- World’s first solar bike path set to open in the Netherlands
- Thync review: Where we just say yes to a drug-like, brain-zapping wearable