Under clear skies and to the music of brass bands, the USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) has formally been commissioned into the United States Navy. On Saturday at 6:20 pm EDT, Captain James A Kirk took command of the next-generation multimission Zumwalt-class destroyer at North Locust Point in Baltimore before a crowd of Navy officers, government officials and invited guests. After reading his official orders, Captain Kirk had the US flag and commissioning pennant raised on the superstructure of the Zumwalt, marking the ship’s entry into active service.
.. Continue Reading US Navy’s largest-ever destroyer joins the fleet
- US Navy takes possession of its largest ever destroyer
- US Navy’s first Zumwalt-class destroyer begins sea trials
- USS Zumwalt starts stealthy voyage to San Diego home port
- USS Zumwalt laid up for repairs before commissioning
- Raytheon tests new self-defense missile protection for shallow-water combat ships
- Skin-inspired hull hydrogel may sense and repel barnacles